Our Mission and Values are inextricably linked to our foundations and heritage borne through medical and scientific leadership.
Western Diagnostic Pathology (“WDP”) was founded in 1972 by Dr D.J. McCully and 4 other pathologist partners from the Department of Pathology from the Sir Charles Gardner Hospital.
“Western Pathology” as it was then known, expanded rapidly and quickly became recognized as the pre-eminent West Australian pathology provider. In 1986, Markalinga, the developer and owner of Perth and Sydney’s premier tertiary private hospitals of the time, purchased the shares in the operating company of the pathology service, with Dr McCully and the other senior pathologists continuing to retain ownership of the pathology partnership.
Since that date, the practice has experienced a number of different controlling shareholders and eventually was acquired in 2008 by Primary Health Care Ltd
and became part of the Specialist Diagnostic Services
network of pathology practices.
WDP through this time has continued to grow and thrive through organic growth with a number of key milestones including:
- In 1986, WDP was appointed as the exclusive provider to Perth’s The Mount Hospital.
- In 1996, WDP was appointed to the exclusive pathology provider to Perth’s largest public hospital operated by private operators.
- In 2005, Western Diagnostic Pathology expanded the geographic coverage of its service by now operating a laboratory and collection service in Darwin.
- In 2010, Western Diagnostic Pathology expanded its commitment to aboriginal and remote health care by taking over the central Australian (Alice Springs laboratory) from the S.A. Government entity “MedVet”.
- In 2012, Western Diagnostic Pathology commenced servicing the remote offshore drilling platforms and islands in the far north of the Australian territories.