When determining the treatment for your illness, your doctor will often require information regarding changes in your body tissue, blood or other body fluids to diagnose and provide you with the best medical care. The process of examining these specimens is called pathology.
Western Diagnostic Pathology, one of Western Australia's largest private pathology providers, has been providing WA and NT communities with fast and accurate pathology testing for over 40 years. Aware that pathology testing can be a daunting experience for many people; this website is designed to make the process as simple as possible with a search function to locate Collection Centres in your region, instructions for test preparation and the capability to pay your account online.
What is Pathology
Pathology is the medical specialty concerned with the study of the nature and causes of diseases. It underpins every aspect of medicine, from diagnostic testing and monitoring of chronic diseases to cutting-edge genetic technologies. Pathology testing of patient samples is integral to the diagnosis of every cancer and is central to over 70% of all decisions made in health care.
Pathologists are specialist medical practitioners who study the cause of disease and the ways in which diseases affect our bodies by examining changes in tissue, blood and other body fluids. The doctors you see in a surgery or at a clinic all depend on the knowledge, diagnostic skills and advice of pathologists. Pathologists, scientists, blood collectors and support staff work as part of a medical laboratory team. They work together to collect your specimen, transport your specimen to the medical laboratory, perform testing and interpretation, and report back the medical findings and test results to your doctor to assist with your medical care.
What type of Pathology testing does Western Diagnostic Pathology perform?
We are one of Australia’s leading specialist medical laboratory and pathology providers providing a full range of diagnostic testing and information services.
Our medical laboratory testing services include:
- Biochemistry tests which examine the chemistry of various body systems such as the liver or kidneys
- Haematology which studies the cell lines in blood, eg red and white cells, and blood clotting
- Microbiology looks for causes of infection
- Histopathology looks at the structure of the tissues to find abnormalities such as skin cancer
- Cytology looks at individual cells in from tissues to find abnormalities e.g. PAP smears
- Immunology studies the body’s immune system eg. Allergy testing
- Toxicology performing drug screening and testing
- Genetics (Cytogenetics and Molecular genetics) for genetic abnormalities
Western Diagnostic Pathology performs medical tests and analysis that aid your doctor in the diagnosis or detection of diseases, and measure the progress or recovery from a disease. We have specialised expertise in diabetic testing, cancer, cardiovascular diseases, infectious diseases, drugs of abuse screening and molecular tests.